Jan. 6 Defendant Enrique Tarrio Says He Plans to Seek Compensation From DOJ’s New Anti-Weaponization Fund

Former Proud Boys chairman Enrique Tarrio says he intends to apply for compensation through the Department of Justice’s newly announced $1.776 billion anti-weaponization fund, adding another controversial chapter to the ongoing political fallout from the January 6 Capitol riot.
Tarrio, who was previously sentenced to 22 years in prison on seditious conspiracy charges tied to the 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol, told Reuters that he believes he could qualify for a payment worth millions of dollars under the new DOJ process. According to the report, Tarrio estimated he could receive between $2 million and $5 million.
Speaking about the impact the case had on his life, Tarrio said the legal battle and prosecution left his life “all messed up.” He also argued that many people connected to the January 6 events should be eligible for some type of compensation.
Tarrio was among nearly 1,500 individuals connected to the Capitol riot who received clemency from President Donald Trump last year. His latest remarks came shortly after an online interview streamed by WarBoys Studios on Rumble, where he discussed the DOJ fund and how payments could potentially be distributed among applicants.
During the interview, Tarrio suggested that compensation amounts could vary depending on the severity of sentences individuals received. He stated that if compensation decisions were based on prison terms, he expected to receive one of the largest payouts among January 6 defendants.
At the center of the controversy is the Department of Justice’s recently announced anti-weaponization initiative. The DOJ said the fund is being created as part of a settlement tied to lawsuits involving President Trump, his sons, and federal investigations connected to leaked tax records, the Mar-a-Lago document search, and the Russia investigation.
According to the Justice Department, the program is designed to review claims from individuals who believe they were unfairly targeted or politically harmed by actions of the federal government. Officials said the process could include financial compensation as well as formal acknowledgments or apologies in certain cases.
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche defended the program in a public statement, saying government agencies should never be used unfairly against Americans. He said the department’s goal is to address past wrongs while preventing future political misuse of government power.
President Trump also commented on the program, describing it as an effort to reimburse people who he believes were treated unfairly by the federal government. However, Trump said he was not deeply involved in the details of how the fund would operate.
The DOJ has clarified that neither Trump nor members of his family involved in the settlement agreement will personally receive any financial compensation from the fund.
Questions have also emerged over whether individuals convicted of violence against police officers during the Capitol riot could still qualify for payments. In an interview with CNN, Blanche did not completely rule out that possibility. He explained that a future commission reviewing applications would consider multiple factors before approving or denying claims.
Blanche stated that while assaults on law enforcement officers are serious and unacceptable, the review panel would ultimately determine eligibility on a case-by-case basis. He added that the conduct of each applicant would likely play a role in the final decision.
The announcement of the fund has already triggered strong reactions across the political landscape. Supporters of the initiative argue it provides a legal pathway for people who believe they were unfairly prosecuted. Critics, however, question whether individuals involved in the Capitol riot should receive taxpayer-backed compensation.
As debate continues, Tarrio’s comments have quickly drawn national attention because of his high-profile role in the January 6 investigation and the severity of his original sentence. His decision to publicly seek compensation is expected to fuel further political and legal debate surrounding the DOJ’s new program and the lasting consequences of the Capitol riot cases.
Sources:
Reuters
U.S. Department of Justice
CNN


